PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Specific Laser Threat to Leeming Aircraft
Old 28th Aug 2012, 08:12
Fortissimo

Received 36 Likes on 13 Posts
I have done some work on the laser problem with the CAA recently. CAA is working with civpol on a national awareness/education campaign for the magistrates to ensure there is a common understanding of the problem across the country - some of them just don't get it!

The little darlings with lasers are now turning their attentions to road and rail users too. I suppose it's better than having a paving stone lobbed through your windscreen, but I'm not sure I like the idea of my train driver being dazzled on the approach to signals.

Thanks also for the link, Milo. Most of the problems to date have been with eye-safe lasers. Sadly, some poor sod is going to end up with permanent eye damage as more of the high-power versions are imported via the net. However, police in Lancs (I think) recently did someone for importing them, as they are not legal here.

Bottom line, mil or civilian, you need to report any and all laser attacks, otherwise the scale of the problem will not be apparent to those thinking about beefing up the law. Same advice has gone to the police and MOD from the CAA - it seems it is a regular (daily) event for police helicopters, and most military events were not being reported in parallel to the CAA (but will be now...).

Current reported hotspot for the UK is Glasgow.