PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Possible Termination of PA Spine under FAFPS15
Old 28th Aug 2012, 06:19
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaroonMan,

I'm a fence sitter, mainly because it is still just the Outline Scheme Design which is available on the Intranet and that exists to allow you to review and comment on proposed AFPS changes prior to publication of the definitive document, which will be sometime in September. I have splinters too, because NEM (and not just AFPS) is also going to have an impact of the overall picture for many people, and that detail has not yet fully emerged.

AFPS is what is is. Various decisions, such as ignoring CPI (+) and choosing the Average Weekly Earnings index as the revaluation factor to sit alongside the decent Accrual Rate, are still potential balloon deflaters, not poppers. But that impact will only emerge with time. I use the Forces Pension Society quite frequently for technical advice. I suspect they would ask you for your money and tell you to wait until September when they could help you more fully, but it is an organisation that is still definitely worth joining.

Look on it this way. The smoke still hangs heavy, there is a lull in the battle and the enemy won't show himself again until September. Use the time wisely. Take a step back and to an extent, soften your focus on AFPS right now to look on the bigger picture. AFPS is a key, core component.. but it isn't the only component.

edit: A new calculator is available sometime 'next year' and you have until 7 September to submit your thoughts. The final scheme design will then be agreed once all comments have been considered. I imagine there will be a flurry of rubber stamps.

Last edited by Al R; 28th Aug 2012 at 09:34.