PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2012, 22:59
gums

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Dynamic pressure coefficients, et al

Hey, Lyman! The coefficients are most likely the "gains", as we FBW pukes call them.

The basic gains are mostly for determining the amount of control surface movement and the rates they move. They are also modified according to configutation, so gear down they will be generally lower in movement or rate, but it depends on the jet. In the Viper, the movement was higher, but the rate was lower.

When our pitot-static system went FUBAR we went to "Standby Gains", which were about 140 -160 knots gear down and 300+ knots CAS gear up!! Surprisingly, almost the same as the 'bus on the high end. Hmmmmm.... Remember that we still had the gee and rate limits, but it still worked well, and we were used to high gee maneuvering.

Bottomline is that the 'bus gains actually provide a kinder, gentler handling when in the back-up mode. Not skittish or overly sensitive.

My personal beef is the lack of AoA inputs beyond the warnings. I could live with basic AoA limits ( "protections") throught the envelop unless in "direct", and then clear warning indications that I was gonna stall the sucker.