PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Career Options for Singaporean in Singapore - Sponsored or Self Sponsored
Old 27th Aug 2012, 16:41
ballistix71

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking of opportunities for Sporeans:-
Its quite puzzling that Scoot would have its entire flight deck all of expats, or a vast majority of.

Does anyone know of the real reason why a subsidiary of SIA would hire as such, even though the parent company had put out a VNPL policy?
Rotatejunkie: It is a question the SO, FO & SFOs don't know the answer to either I believe. I know it pissed a lot of them off when they had the meeting and were told about the VNPL.

Guys if you want a career in aviation there is only one option...Work Hard.

If you are lucky, you will land a cadetship somewhere and an airline will pay for your training. If your not, you will have to pay for it yourself . This is just like everyone else who didn't get a cadetship around the world. Think of your licence like an expensive university degree, or an overseas degree (I know a lot of SG guys and girls study abroad) to put it into perspective. Biggest thing to take on board is that you are investing it in yourself to gain a skill set, so keep the long term in mind if this is where you want to work.

There are lot of options out there for training around the world, so shop around and see what you can get. $200K SG has been battered around and unfortunately that is the sort of numbers you will need to look at. A CPL with a ME/CIR to sigapore licencing standards will set you back around $100-$110K AU ($140K-ish SG) or there abouts in Australia, before you look at things like accommodation, visa and licence applications etc etc.

Training options are also expanding here in SG so take a look at STAA & Oxford to see how they compare. These organisations will make it easier as you will be issued with a SG licence and not have to convert. Singapore's biggest hurdle is you need to train outside of SG as the airspace is so limited.

Anyone can be a pilot, hell mankind sent monkeys and dogs into space for gods sake. It is going to take dedication and hard work to get the job you want, in the location you want. You need to stick at it for the long term to get there. Took me 16 years from my first flight to the right seat of a A320, proves persistence pays off in the end.