PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Lightning Down At FAOB
View Single Post
Old 27th Aug 2012, 16:31
Rigga

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Hammer said:"The engineers were posted in from any background. With no selection process (someone may wish to correct me on that point), though the technical “Q” courses were good and thorough, you ended up with good, average and not so good maintainers working them."

During the early 80s I had been in for 5+ years working as a Mechanic on Whirlwinds - Line, Minors and Majors. I learned a lot and became confident in my job. After my fitters course I was posted to Honkingdown and to Buccaneers. This was a bit of a culture change for me - I couldnt go on the Airtests, for one thing!

Buccs were grounded at the time - so we were drilling and polishing holes for some time.

After some months I got my Airframe Course and sat in a class for some weeks - probably three weeks - I cant remember now. I left there with less than 35 sheets of notes. Then, in the near "heights" of the Cold War, I believe, courses were just to tick boxes, not really to impart good or relevant knowledge to new guys, just to enable them to open panels and look inside with a bit of a clue as to what they saw. Don't get me wrong - I really enjoyed working on and with Buccs...but, in hindsight, the courses were cr@p!

Maybe later courses improved? - I did five type courses and found the Tornado F3 one lacking too (but that's me, I suppose). Luckily I didn't stay long with them.

Most times it's not up to the engineers what levels of aircraft course they get - they just make do with what they get - and then get experience as best they can.