PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 7192 D3
Thread: 7192 D3
View Single Post
Old 11th Jan 2003, 11:25
famous grouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can anyone help ??

Hi, I am new to the forum, but not a novice in the Operations field, but I have a few concerns on this course and I wondered if anyone else had similar thoughts.

I have started the Operations/Flight Dispatcher course run by GCNS and I am finding the content of the course somewhat daunting. There seems to be a lot of information that an Ops Dispatcher/Controller is highly unlikely to ever need to know. I have spoken to FAA dispatchers and pilots, both of whom consider this course material to be of ATPL standard (but without the classroom tuition).

I have also completed a number of the “self assessment” tasks that appear regularly throughout the manuals and find myself having to return to the text of the manuals to find out why I got answers wrong. On examination of the manuals it appears I was not wrong, but in fact the assessment papers give the wrong answers.

Although the amount of information in the course looks impressive at first sight, I am also left wondering how on earth ICAO would deem it necessary for a person on the ground dispatching an aircraft for flight, would need to know R/T phraseology, rules of the air, in depth maintenance theory (for airframes, engines, systems, electrics and instruments) and many other topics covered that appear to be ATPL and NOT operations orientated.

I am mystified, does anyone else feel the same ??