PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Bachelor of aviation (flying) degree
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2012, 16:29
paperplanepilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh dear, I hope I haven't gotten my facts wrong.
Looks like VET FEE-HELP doesn't cover CERT I - IV, which is what the CPL is usually under. It's just a matter of finding a place that has CPL included under a diploma or graduate certificate.

I thought Royal Vic Aero Club had access to FEE-HELP, but it looks like that's only for Instructor and Instrument rating.

Here's a list of all the places that are approved VET. Not all of them are aviation, but it might help. Providers that offer Commonwealth assistance - Study Assist

Giving them a ring to enquire about courses can't hurt, if it's a good school they'll be more than happy to help to give you info.

My university experience was good and bad. Good points included making a big network of friends who I'm still mates with after finishing uni, and getting a nice overview of all the parts of aviation, like how an airline runs as a business, air traffic control, aircraft design, etc.

The bad part was trying to juggle a university degree as well as flying as well as a job to pay for rent, food and those damn charts, books, exams, uniform, headset and landing and ILS fees.

Some subjects sucked as well, who wants to constantly pump out assignments on complex numbers and matrices or the mathematical formulas behind gas turbine engines or calculate the stress and forces in a beam that has a hole drilled in it or do a 20,000 word group assignment when you have a nav the next day? Uni + Flying = hard if you value sleeping.

Really bad points included the constant battle with the flying school about how I wanted to have weekly lessons to get my flying done instead of having 4-8 week gaps because my instructor was 'busy' teaching the cadets. Endless phone calls, emails and meetings and no one could seem to fix that for me. What was meant to be 2 years of flying (getting to CPL) dragged out to 3.5 years.

A lot of people I studied with ended up hating how big and unorganised the flying school was. It can zap your motivation pretty quick when a simple thing like getting a flying lesson booked is near impossible.

I didn't study at RMIT so I'm not sure what their course is like, if you're trying to save time this one looks really quick and cuts out all the university assignment stuff?
C6010 - Diploma of Air Transport (Airline Pilot) - RMIT

Other advice: Look at scholarships. There are ones available for accommodation and all types of wacky stuff.