PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Transponder ID function inop
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2012, 14:57
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And its your responsability as PIC to set the aircraft up for your flight what ever the condition it was left in by either the engineers or previous pilot.
Well, that sounds nice in principle and may have worked up till about 2000 or so. But modern avionics have so many different settings that you can easily spend an hour verifying that their setup is "just right". And my experience is limited to a panel with two GNS430s only, which only have half a dozen pages of settings each. I'm not even considering integrated glass cockpits here.

You honestly can't expect every pilot to go through all these pages to verify nobody has messed with the settings, for each and every flight. So if you mess with a setting other than something obvious (squawk, frequency, declutter setting, range) I think you have to change it back to what it was. And don't leave that for the next pilot to sort out.

And if you don't agree, I'll gladly come 'round, dive into the settings menu of your glass cockpit and change something that might not be obvious at first sight, but can be very annoying in flight. The ability to do 8.33 kHz spacing for instance.