PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ethiopean airlines pilot jobs - Warning
View Single Post
Old 26th Aug 2012, 14:25
captplaystation

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strontium, as I understand it they pay nothing (much) during training because of the number of people who banged out , either during, or shortly afterwards.

The reasons I have been given for this "disloyalty" were
A - a change in policy requiring experienced Commanders be line checked by paid (of course) Line Trainers to every destination, thereby paying the local & delaying paying the foreigner. I have heard stories that this (and the accompanying unpaid period) can drag on a very long time, something even some of the agencies will admit to.
B - Training Capts who thought they were Gods Gift to Aviation & spoke/treated experienced Commanders in the same fashion that they seem to get away with treating their own FO's, whilst failing to provide clear SOP's that they then lambast candidates for not knowing.
C - Whether it is 3x what the Locals receive or not, the package is cr@p & therefore if people get a better offer they will of course jump ship.

This info has ben posted by enough ex employees that I seriously doubt it is just sour grapes, & I also had personal contact with 2 individuals who confirmed these stories & a few even less savoury ones besides.

The Ethiopians are known as very proud, they count themselves as something above the average African.
This may well be, however, to be treated as something more prestigious, your behaviour has to merit it.
From what I have heard it doesn't, perhaps if all the above issues were addressed the problem of new crew jumping ship could be solved, & they could start to offer normal terms & conditions from Day1.

If you are happy with it, either because you found nothing better, or you enjoy to be used as unpaid labour initially, & then get paid peanuts, well, good luck to you.

However, please do not come on here & try to sell sawdust as gold dust, it just isn't.