PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Q that never seem to die or fade away.
Old 26th Aug 2012, 08:47
Diesel and Dust

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old Q that never seem to die or fade away.

Good day to all.

I am apologizing in advance for asking the following questions over and over. I've read a lott about them and for some reason I can not understand where some guys get the figures they work on. The question I seek some help with we all would recognize out of which and book it comes and for which carrier they are normally associated with.

1) Given airfield elevation of 1500 ft, altimeter 1000 millibars, calculate pressure altitude:

This Q has been posted over and over yet I can not figure out what the hell to do. For I know I am not the sharpest tool in the shed, all I am asking is some guidance from all.

2)Given an indicated altitude of 10,000 ft, and an actual OAT of -20°C, you set your altimeter to a local station setting of 29.62". If the station elevation is 2,500 ft what is your actual altitude'

Here's a explanation on what to do where ( no disrespect to the individual who posted it, its just I am not understanding it 100%).

The temperature correction formula is:
True Alt = Ind Alt + (ISA dev x 4/1000 x Ind Alt)
In this case, substitude 7500 for 10000 feet in the second "Ind Alt" in the above.
So True Alt = 10000 + (-15 x 4/1000 x 7500) = 9550

But why the 4/1000 ? is it something I am missing or what. I see some blogs say they use 6/1000 for the same Q ? Where does one get a solid A for the formula?

3) There are two runways, one is 8,000' and one is 10,000' long. With respect to second segment climb, which runway will allow for greater 2nd segment performance.

4)On a 3° glide path, OAT -25°, OM crossing height of 1760', the aircraft altitude will indicate

All information and explanations are greatly appreciated.