PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VX or VY on TO, What’s the deal ?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2012, 21:57
peterh337

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95kt is Vy but as Steve says you will end up with a high CHT - I would guess 420F at an OAT of +25C.

The only place I have tolerated 420F was coming out of Turkey in +35C, and that was very briefly (10s of seconds).

However the TB20 POH is dated 1988, and this is true for the post-year-2000 GT also, which Socata cunningly call "Mod 151" and keep the POH the same, to reduce the certification work

And 1988 TBs would not have had an EDM700 and if they had a CHT gauge it would prob99 have been on the wrong cylinder

I get a 30F+ difference between #3 (hottest) and say #2 (one of the coolest). It is #3 that I watch during all flight regimes (I stop the EDM700 scanning on it).

This week, having seen slowly rising CHTs over time but seeing absolutely constant oil temperature over the last 10 years, I re-made the upper baffles (which were well shagged after 10 years) using this excellent material. There is a UK disti. Took a good half a day. The result is an at least 10F drop in #3 CHT; well worth it. I will re-do the lower baffles when I can see a flat calm day with nice wx (not allowed to work inside a hangar) which needs the lower cowling removed. But the lower ones seem OK.

OTOH I know of a very old TB20 with an EDM700 whose CHTs are at least 30F below mine. No idea how it does it....