PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA or EASA should I wait?
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2012, 18:44
Kolossi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for posting the links here PropSwinger. Yes I've read those, many times, and at least the "Quick Guide" was out before I had the conversation with the CAA (I can't remember if the FAQ was, but I suspect at least one version of it was). When I was phoning up to clarify my confusion, I was referring to the quick quide when I was given the information I mentioned in my post. The trouble is it talks about if you have a JAA licence from before the transition or an EASA one after, but it does not explain the situation if you actually obtain a JAA licence DURING the transition period*.

Another thing is that if I look at FAQ 7 or P7 of the quick quide as you suggest it says things like
If your JAA licence is not marked "Valid for United Kingdom registered aircraft" ...
But if you are considering whether to apply for one or not, you don't actually have one so you don't know which would apply do you!? (So that JAJW knows, the one I got doesn't say that so is in fact a JAR-FCL licence!)

I'm sure somebody somewhere knows, but I'm afraid the situation for those applying during the (extended) transition period is very far from clear in the information sources available - apparently including even CAA senior management.

Regarding IMCr/IR(R) I'm reasonably confident that nobody anywhere has a definite answer as it's still being haggled with Brussels.

*BTW as an aside I don't see the merit in the transition period, why not just chop over from issuing JAA one day, then EASA the next? Questions like these wouldn't than arise, although to be fair then I'd have HAD to have an EASA licence with no immediate prospect or an IMCr/IR(R).