PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - I Like ARSSE (The Army Rumour Site)
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2012, 17:26
Whenurhappy

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
There's one thing getting naked whilst drunk at the Rugby Club...

On the issue of Naked Bar, I recently worked with a very experienced and thoroughly likeable Marine; his predecessor - a bit of a legend from the Falkands - was also a thoroughly professional chap. Several of us brought up the issue of 'Naked Bar' with both of them over some drinks during the handover and they were both of the belief that it is a dying habit or tradition. They both regarded it as a 'not particularly clever thing to do these days' because fo the ubiquity of video cameras etc.

Opinions amongst US colleagues vary - most are intrigued by the Royal family and they are genuinely amazed that both Princes do 'proper' military jobs. Some thought that Harry's antics, whilst a little risque, were ok, whereas others (perhaps tapping into the underlying Puritanism that is common in the US Forces) thought that his behaviour lacked a degree of mature judgement.

Yes - what Harry did would not pass for comment if it was any other junior officer, but he cannot escape the fact that he is also a major public figure/celebrity in his own right and that discretion in his behaviour is necessary. I would normally refrain from commenting on fellow officers on PPrune, but this matter is well and truely in the public domain. I was imagining what I would do if I were his Sqn Cdr?