PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Thread No. 10
View Single Post
Old 25th Aug 2012, 16:37
TTex600

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Lyman
TTex600.. INRE: Poor technique, "Mayonnaise", and "bump and suss". I think it may be more prevalent than we think? It looks suspiciously like an evolved and ad hoc response to Airbus flight controls....

It resembles "Pilot induced turbulence". Over controlling to goad the aircraft into giving up some feel, as it were. Or to make "minor" corrections in flight path?
As per FCTM? Unusual it has received little attention here. In other aircraft it would not make it past first flight in type?

You have seen it? Could you enlarge on your experience with it? It seems horrendously out of touch with such a sophisticated airplane and her philosophy?
I've slept at least once since writing about poor technique, and I'm in a bit of a hurry at present. With that said, "Mayonnaise" differs from the "slap the stick" method to which I refer. Mayo would be akin to full scale deflections and opposite full scale deflections in the opposite direction (made in my opinion due to the lack of a link from stick to controls. Sometimes one wants more roll and ends up at full SS deflection which then requires full opposite stick and back and forth) where slapping the stick is minor corrections made somewhat like a 16 point roll performed by a world class aerobatic pilot.

I brought that up as an example of something the FCTM should discourage vs encouraging.

But for now, I've got to get back to planting my fall garden.

Last edited by TTex600; 25th Aug 2012 at 16:38.