PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - "Expect an ILS approach"?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2012, 22:05
Spitoon

Uplinker, I doubt that you will get the answer you are hoping for. There are many things that are done with the intention of avoiding misunderstandings; this is one of them. I'm afraid that it is not necessarily the case that what you (and, indeed, any one of us) may think is obvious is also obvious to everyone else - and there is a wealth of accident and incident reports, amongst other things, that illustrate the problems that can arise when assumptions are made. That's why in our business we do readbacks and cross checks.

If I were to accept accept your proposal, why should we stop at the type of approach? If there's a westerly wind and a westerly runway, obviously that's the runway that will be in use so there's no need to put that on the ATIS either. In fact, if I think it's a nice day maybe I shouldn't waste time putting the wx on the ATIS.

When I was young and foolish I'm sure I thought similar thoughts on occasions. After almost 35 years working professionally in aviation I now believe that assuming that anyone things the same way as anyone else is not something we can afford to do.

Yes, for you, some things are superfluous because they are obvious; for me too, there are other things that are superfluous. But I'll happily put up with having to tx a bit of information that I think is unnecessary if it means that it helps to avoid someone else flying around in the same airspace making an incorrect assumption.

Of course you may counter that any pilot or controller who is unsure about something will ask for confirmation - just as you would......wouldn't they?