PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - JAA or EASA should I wait?
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2012, 15:26
riverrock83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kolossi
Hi JAJW,

Congratulations on passing, I got my JAA PPL just over a month ago.

I mulled over the same question as you, but being a month further back it was looking at a longer wait for me - and there's already been one postponement of the date for start of EASA licence issue, who's to say there won't be another.

One final factor you may wish to consider is the following, though I couldn't get any definitive answer from anybody about whether it's true or not (even from CAA). With a JAA licence, you can still add on the IMCr, which when the licence is converted to EASA will be noted as IR(R). It's my understanding that if you get a straight EASA licence, you do not have any route to tack on an IR(R), so your only route to fly in anything other than VMC would be to do a full IR. Now THAT might be worth £73 to you

HTH

Kolossi
Tis a question I've also sked on here before without a definitive answer. Beagle thinks it will be OK but he never answered this precise question.

• CAP 804 says it can can only be endorsed onto a UK aeroplane licence (and it doesn't differentiate between former JAR Part-FCL versions, pure Part-FCL licences and Pre-JAR versions).
  • We know that you will always be able to add it to a UK (non-EASA) licence (but these will only be valid on Annex 2 aircraft after April 2014).
  • The CAA briefing doc says if your licence is a JAR licence (which is considered a Part-FCL licence until converted...) has a valid IMC when it is converted to a licence that looks like a Part-FCL licence, then you will get an IR(restricted) endorsement on the Part-FCL EASA licence.
  • We also know that you can still add an IMC rating to a licence that looks like a JAR licence before it is converted.
  • According to Part-FCL you aren't supposed to be able to add a national rating to an EASA licence.
  • There is still ongoing representation to EASA to allow the ongoing adding of what will be an IR(r) to a part FCL licence after the conversion period

Would seem logical that you can add an IR(R) onto a pure Part-FCL licence at least until the end of the conversion period (2014?) and thats my hope. Doesn't mean it will happen though