PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Big Crash at Reno
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2012, 11:27
Pilot DAR

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts
everyone believed that everyone one else had things covered when in fact nobody did.
Oh I just agree with that observation. This is the duty of care that we all have. The aviation system has many documentation mechanisms in place to objectively demonstrate that requirements have been met - we gotta use them!

I have no statement to make specifically about Mr. Leeward. In general though, a person who does not provide required information which is compliant, or provides information which contains incorrect information should have a red flag pop up in front of them. I do not condone flying under misrepresented circumstances.

The aerodynamics which seem to be a factor in the failure of the aircraft interest me much more. There is a process for certified aircraft to demonstrate adequate margins of mechanical strength of control systems, and flutter margins. I realize that this was not a certified aircraft, but I hope there is some equivalent testing process, particularly considering the high speeds involved, and risks to the public. I wonder how compliance with whatever those requirements are was demonstrated, and how this was documented.....