PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Japan (AJX) B767
View Single Post
Old 24th Aug 2012, 05:19
upspeed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lasik in Asia

@tcw3.

I just spent one year flying in China, and yes the CAAC accepts Lasik, as long as you provide them with all relevant documentation regarding your procedure. I know this for a hard fact as a former colleague of mine was hired at the same time as me and we went through the whole medical assessment together.

He had Lasik done about 8 years ago and only needed to provide the relevant documents requested by the CAAC docs. We even did our renewal earlier 2012 and went through again without any problems. Before applying to a Chinese Airline he had heard and been told by many, including some quite well known and respected recruitment agencies, that China would be a no go with Lasik, so this just proves that the agencies don't know everything and may easily mislead you and even prevent you from getting that thought after position.

Now regarding the JCAB I will quote the words of a fellow pilot, who is a Japanese skipper and has worked with pilot recruitment in the past. Read his reply below:

"Firstly, according to the current Medical standard in Japan issued in 2007, In general, the previous history of LASIK or other surgery is not acceptable for the 1st class medical. But it also says the applicant may apply for the special approval to the minister of Land and Transportation."

"The process to apply for this "Minister's Approval" is complicated and the case will be studied and handled one by one. Most of cases, the applicants will be requested to submit several documents to proof the condition and takes several weeks to get the approval. For your medical in Japan, the company will handle those cases thus it will be their decision to accept or not."

So for me it seems quite clear that there is a way around this in Japan as well, just as in China. I think these recruiters should be made aware of such possibilities, as this would include quite many suitable and competent candidates for the screenings. Or maybe they already know this, but won't bother going through the process, so it is easier just to say "no way Jose" to anyone with a history of Lasik.

Would anyone else care to add personal experiences with this matter?

Fly safe!

Upspeed.

Last edited by upspeed; 24th Aug 2012 at 05:24.