PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jet! When Britain ruled the Skies.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 12:30
aviate1138

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One or two research items needed clarifying. The Germans had ejector seats before us. 1942 was long before Martin Baker. Test pilot Helmut Schenck used one in anger escaping from a He 280 twin jet fighter.
From the time of Schenck's successful escape to the end of the Second World War, approximately 60 Luftwaffe airmen ejected from their planes in combat situations.

They also missed showing the Miles M52 saga to really show the world we had the technology. I guess 60 minutes is not enough to cover such a fascinating period of aircraft production.

The prat Duncan Sandys [son in law of WSC] who single handedly screwed up the Aircraft Industry/RAF/Navy with his "Aircraft are out of date, the Guided missile is King" decisions was only repeating his failure as Chairman of a War Cabinet Committee for defence against German flying bombs and rockets. Prof.RV Jones loathed him [with good reason].

Good to see so many RAF and Navy aircraft once again!

The John Derry DH 110 crash was my first [aged 11] real experience of life and its ups and downs. I was in the crowd but well in front of the carnage.

Looking forward to part two.