PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The use of words:
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 09:32
treykule

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I observe a person being careless in one thing, I will assume they are equally careless in everything.

So, if I were to observe a flying instructor who does not care to use their language with care while teaching, I'm going to assume that they also do not fly airplanes with care, and why would I want to study with them if I have a choice of a more "professional" one? Yes, I will, in part, judge the quality of a pilot's care in flying by the care with which they speak.

Ah, Pilot Dar.. Chuck and I are just two old toothless cats who like to take a swat at the pride now and then to stir things up. My post was directed at straight Cat Driver harrassment.

You assumptions may be correct, but I would be careful before you start judging instructors. A great instructor speaks to a student in language that is suitable for that student..I still tell pilots to bring the nose up.or put it down..I dont consider that careless or unprofessional. The communication is understood , and in the cockpit enviroment that is important. I find that some, particularly the young and inexperienced instructors tend to pontificate and use pretenious language. I always chuckle when I hear a 300 hour instructor confidently talking about things like the back side of the power curve in correct and proper technical language to students who really dont understand what is being said, and then when I fly with them, they dont have a blue's clue about how it really works (the instructors, not the students)
I could go on. Really professional instructors provide the knowledge and know how to convey it , and assure understanding.
So I hope you will not think I am being careless or unprofessional when I suggest you lower the nose a bit to increase the speed. BTW...the nose I am referring to is the pointy end of the plane.
My instructor rating expired many many years ago, but these days I get to see the product of the new breed of professional insturctors..Still all zippers, watches, and sunglasses, but they sure do talk pretty.....Just wish that those ex-instructor professionals could fly like they talk.