PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 08:38
Jack1985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Local media reports quoted the IAA as saying they hoped the ILS would be fully restored later this week. I' m not sure what's so significant about September. What can be done next month that couldn't be done this month?
Post the links they're Ryan? I've said multiple times and it's continually being ignored at this stage - The contractor who will be testing the ILS will be using its own aircraft to calibrate the system. It has been scheduled since late June to be carried out in early September. The failure that occurred in early August has had no effect on this and the ILS will not be fully calibrated until early September as was planned - This is routine and is done as standard op to make sure there are no deficiencies in the system. The G/S failed so the calibration currently in use on 17 has to be reset, that cant be done until a full update which is why the IAA are waiting until early September.

I would also question the wisdom of decommissioning the CAT 2 during the Summer months in future. The low cloud that brings the RVR below CAT 1 is as likely to arrive in August as in February. At least if disruption occurs in the Winter it can be more easily managed by airlines, bus companies etc.
It was decommissioned after the failure!? The testing in early September will last about 4hrs. There's no excuse for any disruption and the last bit you just said there would be laughed at by airlines, when yields are lower in winter anyway and any disruption will make they affected flight(s) loss making.