PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UH-60L / S-70 Torque Split
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 12:30
SASless

Received 525 Likes on 220 Posts
Question......

It would seem a "Low Side" failure would result in either normal Nr or lower Nr than originally set....and a "High Side" failure would result in higher Nr than originally set.

The question...."If you move the Collective....during a High Side failure....would the Nr not increase if the Collective was reduced and either stay the same if raised slightly?"

A second question....."In a High Side failure....does the N-1, Ng, or whatever it is called in the Blackhawk stay in the governor range or does the engine go to Topping or beyond?"

Next to Last question....."Does the 'Good Engine' respond correctly to Collective Movement?"

Final question....."Are you using Torque as the way to diagnose the problem or using Gas Producer and Power Turbine indications along with Nr?" I would suggest the Torque indications are not really that useful in diagnosing the problem. I taught Governor failures by disabling the Torquemeter Indicators or covering them up altogether.

As the Torquemeter needles do the most moving around compared to other indicators...they seem to attract the eye the most and offer the least useful information.

I have flown seven different Twins and have had every kind of governor or fuel control failure known to Man I think....all but a few were pretty much non-events....while two really...really....really stand out and both of them were in the Chinook. One event that stood out was two different problems....on two engines simultaneously in a very awkward situation and the other was an engine that went to absolute max power and would not respond to any corrective action....in an empty aircraft very low on fuel which made for a vertical rocket with very dangerous Nr speeds.

Last edited by SASless; 22nd Aug 2012 at 12:41.