PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - News of NEO
Thread: News of NEO
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 08:46
CharlieOneSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SASless
any suggestion of a problem talk to your Quack asap.
Totally agree with SASless. In England every two years once you reach 60 and until you are 74 you will receive in the post a bowel cancer screening kit - in Scotland it's from 50 to 74 and in 2015 that will be the same for Wales. My last test in December was clear but in May I began passing blood.

Saw my GP the next day, had a colonoscopy and biopsies taken within 4 weeks. Colonoscopy is very slightly uncomfortable but not painful and you are sedated. Like SASless and around 50% of folk over 50 the colonoscopy showed I have diverticular disease. The majority will never know they have got it. However my bleeding is caused by ulcerative colitis - incurable but controllable.

My point in all this is if you have any symptoms at any age get yourself checked out soonest. Just because the symptoms put the fear of God into you, don't leave it and hope it goes away. Altered bowel habits, pain, bleeding, passing mucus covered stools etc - get it checked out. Chances are that like me it isn't colon cancer but if it is and you catch it early it's curable.

All the best to NEO - I don't know your real name but I expect our paths have crossed over the years.

Last edited by CharlieOneSix; 22nd Aug 2012 at 08:47.