PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (UK) Etiquette on service termination
View Single Post
Old 22nd Aug 2012, 07:57
WorkingHard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is sometimes difficult to know from what perspective some comments are made on these forums but never the less they may be quite telling and could be a warning to all. For example Amexgull tells us to remember that ATCOs are there to provide a SERVICE which is most often the case in reality. Anotherthing however focuses on a basic radar facility covering the UK as a "gold plated service" and the "GA does not pay" as well as "controllers are there to provide a service, amongst other things".
It seems to me that here we have possibly 2 opposite examples of what being an ATCO is all about. It also seems to me from my experiences that the views seemingly expressed by Anotherthing are very much in the minority. How do ATCOs see the job? Are you there to provide the best service you can for all the aircraft flying in your part of the world?
A comment and a question for Anotherthing - GA does pay and pays greatly for the "priviledge" of flying in the UK whereas the "owners" of CAS pay nothing for the exclusive control of that volume of airspace, and if an ATCO is on duty controlling then to what does "amongst other things" refer please?
Keep up the good work ATCOs.