PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So sad it came to this.
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2012, 21:41
Chugalug2

Received 236 Likes on 72 Posts
Biggus:
why aren't investigative journalists taking any interest in this story?
A very good question, from which response you might detect that I don't really know. Although this scandal (for scandal it is) is about life and death issues, it is a very technical scandal. A journalist would have to absorb the shifting MOD scene over the years as departments wax and wane and of course change their names, understand the difference between airworthiness and serviceability (a difference not always clearly understood in this forum!), be sufficiently au fait with Service life to understand the duty to obey an order, and yet at the same time the obligation to disobey an illegal order, and what that constitutes. In short he/she would have to be ex-military themselves, probably ex-RAF, probably aircrew or engineering, probably ex-Staff as well. Such exotic creatures do exist and can be found, right here!
That is why I post here, to attempt to mobilise the informed professional expertise that abounds within this membership. This scandal may have its shortcomings as a media story, but then they usually end up wrapping next day's Fish and Chips anyway.
My purpose is to see UK Military Airworthiness Provision and Air Accident Investigation made independent of the MOD.
My reason is that only in that way can avoidable airworthiness related accidents be avoided and hence lives saved.
My means are to see that the suborning and subversion of military airworthiness and accident investigation be revealed in court, for only in that way will its extent be made public and reform demanded.
Tall order? You bet. Worth it? You guys are the professionals. You tell me.