PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Old Ironsides Deploys to Sea Again!
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2012, 18:20
dagenham

Received 33 Likes on 8 Posts
yes, you are correct regarding the Trim being renamed.... but as it was over 100 years ago, so I thought it was not so relevant.

The Victory is not rotting and is looking in fine fettle and almost fully open. it is a great example of the work our dockyard tradesmen can do.

The Constitution is a fine ship, even more remarkably preserved given the massive swings in the Boston climate.

I always find the legend of old ironsides very interesting. Her biggest claim to fame is she was the first USS to beat an English ship. The battle with Guerriere earned her the nickname of "Old Ironsides" and public adoration that has repeatedly saved her from scrapping. However, what is not remembered is the Guerriere was half the size and half the crew to the constitution, so pretty much a forgone conclusion.

The modern analogy would be a Raptor shooting down a hunter ... not exactly a fair fight, but a win all the same

If old Iron sides meet the Victory, as first rate ship of the line. The 100 odd cannon in a broadside would have probably shredded the timber now matter how well built. I am sure Victory would have taken a battering, but with over double the number of guns and crew it could probably take it

All the same, well done our colonial cousins for what they have achieved ! I just wish Victory could put to see now! ( and perhaps a tad jealous!)