PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So sad it came to this.
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2012, 18:03
Davaar
I'll mak siccar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if half of the deadbeats propping up the bar have ever worn the Queen's uniform
Used to have a dear friend, now sadly dead, who for a time flew the Me 109 in anger, while not wearing the Queen's, or even King's, uniform. As I recall, he was a member of the Legion. He certainly applied to join, although not without meeting some opposition. As he put it though, truly enough, he was "a veteran".

Long post-war, too, I shared an RAF QFI with a "refresher" (jet conversion) course Luftwaffe ace from WW2, later a Lieutenant General.

Then again, I had a business client over here whom I inherited from an ex-combatant WW2 captain, Canadian Armed Forces. Said client was in the automotive transmission business, "trading as" a member, like the regrettable Mr Donaldson, of Clan Donald. Just a coincidence. My chap first met Canadians when he was but a lad in the Waffen SS and occupant of a panzer toy.

With one employer in the aviation business over here I had a former colleague who had worked with the late Kurt Tank on the FW 190.

All irrelevant to shafting the boss, I know, so forgive my digression please, but all memories sparked by the thread.

Last edited by Davaar; 21st Aug 2012 at 18:25.