PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 report out
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2012, 13:41
Lonewolf_50

Received 478 Likes on 297 Posts
FFS, Clandestino

So they might be, but what has it to do with AF447? For Finnegan's sake, we have analysis of DFDR and CVR and they show nothing like the alleged "scan breakdown". Both pilots promptly recognized they have lost speed display.
1. Comments like that make me wonder the level of understanding you have of an instrument scan is. If you use one, or have used one then I find your choice of response confusing.

Are you playing games here?

2. If sound habits are not imbedded in training, and in type training, and then practiced, then those habits cannot be applied in flight. Scan breakdown is a common enough occurrence to warrant understanding it, it's sources, and it remedies.

While the pitch and power chorus have yet to sing off key, a concern to me as a prospective passenger on a given day is that the tenors, baritone, and basso profundos may erroneously assume that a pilot flying in the year 2012 operates a passenger aircraft while using a functional scan pattern.

Pitch and power and performance monitoring to desired parameters is a result of an effective scanm. (Or, perhaps it is a result of the passengers nearest the side sticks trusting the robot -- who the hell knows?)

I am not convinced that my assumptions of what tools pilots use is true anymore. Perhaps what you are getting at is that being concerned about a scan breakdown is a dead end if there isn't an actual scan pattern habitually used nor practiced. Is that your gambit?

There is no recording of what is going on inside the brain housing group, so your mind reading exercise regarding the two forward most seated passengers in AF 447 (is that why you use CM1 and CM2), has limited usefulness, even though I find it amusing in some cases.

Cheers.

Last edited by Lonewolf_50; 21st Aug 2012 at 13:46.