PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Midair over Namibia, 27-12-02
View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2003, 11:36
LeadSled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
All,
This was on another thread, I have repeated it here. It seems the chap Grellman can't quite decide whether there is radar at Windhoek, he said the opposite to Flight to that reported here.

If you have spent any time in that part of the world, the TAAG actions would not surprise you. Some years ago, on North African airline wrote off three near new B727-200s ( Yes, 3, its not a typing error) in one day. And it never even made the western media.

Cap’n Bloggs,

The only recent midair I have been able to find in Africa was on Dec.26,2002, close to Windhoek.

As reported by Flight International 7-13 Jan., both aircraft were in contact with Windhoek tower, or should have been, but there are some suggestions of radio problems.

Both aircraft were or should have been operating on clearances from Windhoek tower, and bot aircraft had serviceable transponders. It is not reported whether there was serviceable primary or secondary radar available at Windhoek, and if either aircraft was identified, but it sound like both pilots expected to be and at least one was operating on a clearance for Windhoek tower, and both expected to be radar identified.

If this is the accident to which you refer, I don’t see the relevance to the US style CTAF proposals in the NAS, other than the fact that no midair would be a happy experience.

Have a look at the Australian record, excluding gliders, we don’t do too badly in organizing mid-airs in controlled airspace.

Tootle pip !!