PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Aspiring Pilot - Have Some Questions
View Single Post
Old 21st Aug 2012, 11:52
StingrayCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Aspiring Pilot - Have Some Questions

Hello all,

After having an excellent flight into Gruyères as co-pilot this past weekend, I'm now thinking seriously about getting my PPL. I've decided that I definitely want to do it in Florida and have already chosen my school. I just am wondering on the licensing questions.

To explain, I am a US citizen with Swiss residence, and plan on staying here, so I believe I fall into the JAR/EASA category in terms of what license I need. As far as I know, there's no visa requirement/TSA clearance required for me to train in FL (right?). But what I do have questions on:

1. I see you can get an FAA PPL and then convert to an EASA license when you have 100 hours and Swiss air law etc. That sounds good, but to get the FAA PPL, that would mean when I come back to CH after having done my requisite 40-60 hours, I still have to do another 40-60 (total 100) hours on an N-registered a/c in Switzerland, right? Or can I fly a Swiss-reg plane on an FAA PPL?

2. What is the difference between JAR and EASA? Unless I'm reading this wrong (FOCA - Introduction of the European Regulation concerning Aircrew Licences (Part.FCL) Section 5 Training), the major differences re training are that you cannot self-study, and cannot take exams in different countries. But apparently, you can get grandfathered into the EASA system if you get your JAR-PPL now, doing self-study? The reason I ask is because self-study, and doing theory exams either in USA or CH before I go for practical in USA would be VERY attractive to me. Any guidance?

3. Re self-study, if it is possible, then where do I get the books/materials? Which ones are best? I've heard there are good iPad apps around. Suggestions?

More later. Thanks in advance for the help!