PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 300 to 1500 hours? How are you going to do it?
Old 21st Aug 2012, 05:45
AdamFrisch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1500 solution, as BPF, mentions isn't a perfect number.

But, if one were to hour build outside of instructing, either by renting or owning a small cheap aircraft (and I'll get back to that point), one would quite quickly go crackers by doing 1500hr circuits. So, in the event of a student wanting to hour build out of his own pocket, I think out of sheer self preservation (unless one wants to be permanently committed to a looney bin), it would eventually expands one's flying and result in longer cross country trips and facing the unknown. And I'm here slowly approaching my point: I've learned more from long distance flying to unfamiliar airfields, bad weather and challenging airspaces and procedures than I've ever done from anything else. I say this as a low time pilot. It has given me immense and valuable lessons and I'm sure it has given me better skills. So, in the very rare case that some mental self punisher would do 1500hr circuits, I think valuable skills will be developed.

Regarding the point of aircraft ownership for hour building: It would be a great service to all aviation if the effect of meeting 1500hrs would mean an increase in aircraft ownership. We couldn't ask for anything better.

Last edited by AdamFrisch; 21st Aug 2012 at 05:48.