View Single Post
Old 10th Jan 2003, 10:07
BlueRobin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's My Plan

The Plan!
=======

Why?

Right, I have an ambition to be go semi-pro, i.e. weekend instructing. This will improve my piloting, improve chances and fun and I like to teach. However, if after a few thousand hours, this leads indirectly to a rhs seat on a 73, then so much the better!

Money?

Well, what with the lack of flying, christmas bonus and not-so-good pay increase, I am saving money at a heck of a rate.

So, here's my plan. In the interests of peer review, I'd be interested in your thoughts and ideas.

Medical
======

Number one priority is a Class One medical. I hold a Class Two btw.

budget - £200?

ATPL Ground school
==============

Full-time or distance learning? I'm lucky to live a 10 minute drive from Coventry Airport. This gives me a choice in either camp. Namely full-time at ATA, or a DL course at Atlantic Flight Training.

The DL/FT debate boils down to this. Can I afford to take six months off work? On the other hand, will I have enough study time if I keep working (I hold a job that utilises very little time). Yet, a FT course will ultimately offers better tuition, support and understanding hence a better chance of passing.

Gut feeling is that DL is better. Course is cheaper. Continued employment saves more money. Here I would be interested to know the quality of the course material for Atlantic, say compared to Oxford AT or Bristol.

Typically for a DL ATPL, how may hours a week of study is required?

One purely political point is with my employer. DL school requires 4 weeks off. I get 3 weeks leave entitlement. For the extra week, I would have to be honest and admit why. They will give it to me but will twig this. When I proceed onto the practical courses, I shall have to leave the company. I'm worried how they will take this*.

*personally speaking, if I didn't work for two months, they wouldn't really be over-stretched - perhaps a bargaining chip to use?

Budget - £2000

Time - 6 months

Build Hours
=========

Need 50. I know two owners who will let me fly for £50pcm, £50/hr.

Budget - £2600, plus (problem!) 1-2 weeks off or do as-and-when.

Practical courses
============

Here, I should at around forthcoming Nov-Jan period. A Florida course doesn't necessarily save you an awful lot of cash, but offers plenty of good wx.

I see European FT in FL offer discounted courses (approx prices).

#1. CPL (A), MEP, FI(R) - £7,350
#2. CPL (A), MEP, FI(R), IR(A) - £15,385

Now, IR is not a requirement is my book, but nice to have, esp. with cash in el pockey. Also overcomes ATPL expiry problem.

I'm adding a good min. 30% for costs and retests.

Case 1
Budget - £10,000/ 6 weeks

Case 2
£20000 / 10 weeks

*I may also take the 2-week conversions to FAA.

After
====

Find new IT job. Save. Let funds recover. Instruct weekends. Worry about currency

So whaddya think?