PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Is there Travel Insurance that covers private flying?
Old 20th Aug 2012, 19:42
SunnyDayInWiltshire

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Travel Insurance Quote

I had been looking at an annual policy and wanted to know what the excess was to include private flying cover. The basic family policy includes winter sports, worldwide travel etc but specifically excludes a variety of more hazardous activities.

The supplement was quoted to me at £3.70 per day per person for the US, £3.15 worldwide excluding US/Canada or £1.56 in Europe only. The US quote excluded personal liability and personal accident cover. It's hard to see what that actually buys you - I'm assuming you'd still need renters insurance to cover any damage excess in case of an accident.

It does seem a bit of a minefield. I had rung Traffords after passing my PPL to ask whether they thought I needed any cover, but was told to forget it until I bought an aircraft. My company provide benefits including life insurance etc which specifically include private flying activity, so no problem there.

This would make for a good magazine article if someone could take the time to research it and explain it thoroughly.