PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light aircraft down at Chester?
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2012, 15:42
Phil Parry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Saddened to hear about this.

I'll always remember John Green as a lovely bloke. He was the first person I met at Hawarden when I turned up on a whim one sunny Sunday afternoon to find out about how to get started flying

I remember him saying it was a shame I'd turned up so late as we could have gone up, but never mind, we could take a look at the Tomahawk and other aeroplanes resident in the 'Big hangar' and he did so for the next hour, enthusiastically discussing the aircraft there.

It was that enthusiasm and friendliness that ensured my return and he was my instructor for my very first flight and for a few of the hours that followed before I moved on to another instructor.

One of the times we flew will stay with me forever. He took the controls, aimed for a hole in the cloud and chased around one for a little while before heading back down below the cloud layer again. It doesn't sound like much but in my first few hours it was the most amazing thing ever.

Despite me being bloody awful in the beginning he had a lot of patience and professionalism and I thought him a really nice guy.

A really sad loss.

Last edited by Phil Parry; 20th Aug 2012 at 15:51.