PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So sad it came to this.
View Single Post
Old 20th Aug 2012, 14:54
Halton Brat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't argue with your point R280 as a broad view, however I expect a WO's conduct to be beyond reproach in every way; he represents the pinnacle of the non-com cadre, and holds HMQ's signed Warrant for the execution of his duties. His influence & responsibility as an interface between the Officer/OR worlds is considerable; this should be a person to inspire respect.

Regarding his age/rank, I have probably been out of the RAF too long (17yrs) to comment accurately, but there is a clear difference between RAF/Army career structures & age/rank/retention targets here. Perhaps those still in 'blue' could advise, but to be a RAF WO in your early 40's is still good going - remember, there is no WO2 in the RAF (Flt Sgt equivalent).

Furthermore, the Technical trades have the Chief Tech rank between Sgt & Flt Sgt; this represents an additional hurdle to their promotion prospects, especially significant when the age/rank/retention spectre looms. The non-technical trades do not have the burden of this additional rank (hunkers down now to await meat-seeking missile salvo from all directions).

HB