PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (UK) Etiquette on service termination
View Single Post
Old 19th Aug 2012, 21:17
ShyTorque

Avoid imitations

Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Received 431 Likes on 227 Posts
Mad Jock, I concur.

Genghis, my "bread and butter" UK flights, which are usually Class G transits, sometimes beginning or ending in other classes of airspace, often require letdowns into private landing sites, and are always planned to be flown as in IMC for transit. Why? Because, unless held back by fog or icing conditions, we are expected to go.

Having flown for a living in UK since 1977, in a variety of roles, I've seen LARS rise and fall from nothing. Unfortunately, these days, there are large areas of UK without the cover we had only a very few years ago. For example, "Cottesmore Zone" was the most recent to go and has left a big gap in busy airspace. East Midlands controllers try to help out but cannot be expected to take on a task for which they are not paid for.

My point being, ATC are stretched. If a non-LARS unit agrees to give a radar service at all, treat it as a bonus but don't expect a handover, too. We cannot expect a premier service from a shoestring setup. I say that without meaning to be at all demeaning to ATC.

All part of life's sweet tapestry, as my old Boss used to say.