PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Midwest Beech 1900 crashes into hangar at Charlotte-Douglas
Old 10th Jan 2003, 01:03
A310driver

foxtrot xray

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SAAB 340,SHENZ, LR DRIVER;

Regarding my earlier post about the experience level of the crew.

My apologies for what you have interpreted as ...at best...insensitive. In retrospect, I agree it looks like that. But what I said is what I heard/saw John Loglia say on the tube minutes before and I so noted that. There is nothing personal here and I certainly mourn the loss of the crew and pax alike. As one of you said, .....there but for the grace of God go I. I was not attempting to imply blame/cause and it may very well evolve that the crew was blameless and I personally hope that this is the case.

My point was that the clear implication of Loglia's comments was that this was a highly experienced airline crew; two 25/26 year olds with 1800 hrs (as Loglia said or 2500 TT as is now being reported) and 700 hrs does not qualify for that distinction. Some more zeroes and gray hair would.

The question that may need to be asked is what the fare paying public is entitled to expect when boarding any aircraft in scheduled airline service. Should there be a difference in basic aircraft safety level and , yes , crew experience when boarding a B744 or a 1900 at adjacent gates which are painted identically and bear the same airline logo?

Should there be a cigarette package-like warning on the pax-entry door of every "commuter" a/c that states the fact that
lower standards may apply?

Again, my apologies for an unintentionally insensitive remark.