PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airsick students
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2012, 19:22
Rocade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great news after todays lesson He was able to hold it in for 2 landings today!

We started out with a long and easy briefing. I told him I was dithcing the lesson plan for today and we were just going to have a nice, easy flight around the area, maybe check out a small airfield nearby with little traffic. I also told him that it was most probably his nerves that were affecting him and he could overcome that by taking control of his nerves and relax.

We started out easy in the air, flew around and talked about football, ladies and other stuff. I just wanted him to feel comfortable with the controls and in the cockpit. Then we started doing some light excersises, subtle climbing/descending. At 1500'agl (no runway in sight) I asked him to bring the power back and start a slow descent, adding flaps on the way, and two left 90 degree turns. We continued to 100'agl before going around. He had no idea what we were doing, so you should have seen the look on his face when I told him we just finished a traffic pattern without him feeling sick at all

With that victory in the bag, we continued to a small runway and did one pattern. I talked him through the descent and with a little help he was able to land. After that we continued to homebase were we did the same thing. He was able to land almost by himself! He admitted thought afterwards that he was right on the edge of reaching for the bag, but he was able to hold it, convincing himself that he wasn't sick and focusing on my instructions.

Huge relief for the both of us after today and hopefully we will be able to continue. The smile on his face when he left the airport was indescribable

Thank you all for your replies, they were all really helpful