PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Defence: Public ignorance, the media, and cutbacks
Old 18th Aug 2012, 14:04
WE Branch Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Despite the predictions of some, the Armed Forces did play a major security role during the Olympics, and will do so during the Paralympics. The MOD link is here. In time there will be statistics of numbers of personnel involved, also ships/aircraft/missiles deployed.

Unlike many of those who got pinged at the last minute, I knew I was going, having had the mobilisation papers several months ago. As such, I had decent accommodation, no tents and thunderboxes for me. I must admit to having personal doubts about the Olympics - both because of the cost and disruption involved, and due to philosophical issues. Nonetheless, it was an opportunity to portray the UK in a positive light, with visitors from all sorts of places. In the week before the games, I read a newspaper article that claimed that the Government saw it as an opportunity to help do some business deals, so in that sense it hopefully contributed to national objectives.

Generating so many personnel at short notice may have been a pain, but did it impress anyone? It impressed me, and I wonder did it help influence or deter anyone? The General who visited my site told me that the whole thing had given HM Forces a more positive public image than at any time since the Falklands War. Personally I found this to be slightly worrying given the involvement in various theatres in the last twenty or so years, as well as continuing operations, which sadly involved loss of life during the time of the Games.

The Government is grateful too for being bailed out - will this result in any leverage for the Service Chiefs? Certain aspects of post SDSR policy are in an incoherent mess but could easily be made into a success story - if only the politicians would listen to the advice offered. Does the deployment of HMS Ocean with embarked helicopters for possible use against light aircraft, or HMS Bulwark off the coast of Dorset (with several Lynx as well as various small craft) strengthen the hand of the First Sea Lord? Will the use of ISTAR assets such as the ASaCs Sea King or Merlin help preserve ISTAR assets that SDSR decided were no longer needed? Will the case for the RAF having some sort of maritime surveillance capability be boosted (I popped into a newsagents and saw a magazine talking about some proposal to fit some sort of sensor payload into the back of a Herc)? Will the use of Typhoon help safeguard aircraft numbers? Does the involvement of so many personnel indicate a continuing need to be ready for contingencies?

During the period of the Games, other international news stories were pushed far away from the front pages, yet the ongoing situation in Syria, and continued tensions over Iran's nuclear programme are of greater long term importance than a sporting event.

Last edited by WE Branch Fanatic; 18th Aug 2012 at 14:18.