PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airways in 2012
View Single Post
Old 18th Aug 2012, 06:59
308GT4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tableview, there are a couple of very big differences in stance between when the Nats took over in 1948, viz: The Nats made 80% of everything skin colour (i.e. you had to have a WHITE skin), but the remaining 20% was name (it had to be an Afrikaans name), then language (it had to be Afrikaans) and finally religion (it had to be Calvanistic/Protestant). With the current "ruling" government, EVERYTHING is skin colour!
The big significant difference in what the current government fails to get right is: The Nats(whom I never voted for, by the way) started by ELEVATING the standard of education at universities. They made it MORE DIFFICULT to pass! But, they also introduced Technicons, where you were awarded a National Diploma after successfully finishing a 3 year course of 6 months lectures followed by 6 months practical in a work place. Further, they opened MANY apprentice training colleges to formally train tradesmen, lots! They also introduced technical high schools for those who feel they prefer a technical education to one of say, bible studies and political science.......
The NET RESULT was that ~~AFTER~~ about 20 years, the South African professional could walk into a job anywhere in the world (if he was allowed in...bloody racist-agent-bastard) and just start practicing/working.
With the current ruling people, they think ONLY of what they can do and say to the electorate to ensure that they will be RE-ELECTED in the next election. i.e. LOWER the standards of education to get more "learners" to pass so that they can say "I am a doctor". But try now and walk into a job as a "doctor" outside of Africa???
But things are much better nowadays........
Dinosaur/intransigent/resistant to change etc etc etc.....