PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Baron e55 vs 58
Thread: Baron e55 vs 58
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 21:51
Pace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nordic

I did my twin rating in a 55 and loved it! The one I flew had 260 HP engines which were economical on fuel.
The E 55 had 285 hp engines so would be a rocket I know they fetch a premium on resale so that must say something of the E.
I then flew for a year and a half on a contract into a disused ex military airfield in Cornwall every week.
We had 400 meters of good runway followed by rough and I used a Baron 55 for sometime before we changed the aircraft to a Cessna 303.
The 55 has superb handling and oozes character! Taking it into that strip I always got it down and stopped within the 400 meters of good runway that was after a very low level runway inspection to make sure there were no animals on the runway and often under scud cloud.
It is really a 10-12k aeroplane as non turbo charged the manifold pressures dropped off.
Quirky with all black levers for props, throttle and mixture in that order and I was tempted to stick coloured stickers on the levers.
But my favourite little twin with bulletproof engines.

The E 55 with the 285 HP engines would be faster with better climb rates.
There was a turbo version which would be the ultimate the 56TC
The one I flew was not deiced although it had prop antiice.
You will love it!
The 58? It has a PAX door rather than the usual back to back seating in the 55 and everyone in through the crew door.
If you want club seating and a seperate Pax door go for the 58.
It will be more modern with better avionics fix unless you find an E 55 updated?
The most economical is the straight 55 with 260 hp units Seneca fuel burns but quicker than the Seneca.
There was even a pressurised version with a P
The 55s will be 30 year old aircraft now so if you want newer the 58

Good choice if you like Quirky with character, excellent performers with great handling but expensive to operate? but suppose thats my choice in women too

Beechcraft Baron - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pace

Last edited by Pace; 18th Aug 2012 at 07:17.