PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CAA Military Accreditation
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 21:13
Black Jake

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a response to BW's posts 226 & 228. Things seem to have moved on since then.

Of course you could always turn the argument the other way around. How dare civilian flight instructors think it reasonable to instruct military pilots without being required to demonstrate their competence to the appropriate military authority............?

Unless I'm mistaken - that happens. HQ CFS examiners check all prospective civilian instructors before they're allowed to give instruction to military student pilots on civilian contracts at Shawbury, Barkston Heath, Middle Wallop etc and even to ATC cadets on flying scholarships at civilian flying schools.

Two-way street.

Also, as Beagle has stated on many occasions, military theoretical knowledge requirements and flight training has been "dumbed down" significantly in the last decade or so. Quote from a post by Beagle on 25 July 2012: "How right you are about the progressive dumbing-down of military theoretical knowledge instruction! For example, I was taught (and examined in) PofF to a greater level for my PFB in 1971 than I was at CFS 20 years later. For example, OCU groundschool for the Vickers FunBus was significantly dumbed down after some Stn Cdr decided that he didn't like it being so comprehensive....."

Before suffering return friendly fire, I'm ex mil and profited from my mil qualifications to obtain an ATPL (A), SE and ME class ratings, IR and unrestricted FI rating in 1998. However, I was required to study for and pass all 14 ATPL (A) theory exams (including a practical demonstration of knowledge of Morse code), and a class rating skill test on a multi-engine aircraft, and a ME instrument rating, and an FI skill test (despite being an A2 QFI and IRE).

Granted mil pilots and especially mil QFIs are good (generally streets ahead of their civilian counterparts), but if the MOD is not prepared to accept civil qualifications on face value, why should the CAA be expected to do likewise for the grant of equivalent EASA pilot licences and ratings?

BJ

Last edited by Black Jake; 17th Aug 2012 at 22:25.