PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Post mortem on R112?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 17:08
piperarcher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The aircraft group I am in are based at an airfield that was within R112. Sadly for me, the group consensus was to chicken out, so we temporarily moved the plane to a different airfield, one which had an defined entry/exit exemption and that worked well for us.

Personally I was up for the challenge of operating within the zone, trying to be more accurate with flight plans and timing. I did some flying as a passenger somewhere else which was in the zone, and it seemed to be staightforward, the atlas controllers were very efficient and helpful and it wasnt all that bad. Though, on the first day of the CAS(T) enforcement, I heard it was chaos.

I do know of one person who had a flight plan accepted, was en-route somewhere and planned to transit along the edge of R112. He got in contact with atlas, who asked for his authorisation and in amongst multiple transmissions and multiple transmissions, thought he was in two-way contact with atlas. Well, he was'nt, (maybe he should have realised because it was busy and he wasnt handed over to one of the discreet frequencies), and he was later duly met by some (fairly) friendly heli-police at his destination. I am not sure of his fate, but I was kinda glad I did go along with the group decision to move elsewhere and play it safe.

PiperArcher