PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine failure @ night (SE)
View Single Post
Old 9th Jan 2003, 18:53
Hornetboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recently received Night Rating here. We trained in electrical failures, flapless, but no PFL's. Seem to recall it was suggested to land somewhere just outside cities, hoping to get some light yet not too much civilization.

Of course in Oz there's a whole lot of spots where there's no civilization. Aiming for water is another one I've heard. And of course the good old "Aim for black spots"....not a personal favourite.

This is also a novice opinion, but number 1 option is roads for me. I've noticed a fair few roads between cities/townships that are lit up well enough. At the altitudes we fly at for night ops, there's a reasonable chance of gliding towards one of these roads, usually not too busy for the most part of night. Bonus is that touchdown at 45-50kts is below 100kph usual speed limit for these roads, so we won't be overtaking any law abiding citizens, and those cars behind can hopefully notice the flashing and rotating white and red lights on the aircraft somehow...

....perhaps an early line-up with the road to avoid powerlines on the sides, and approaching with a good speed for plenty of time to flatten the approach and give cars a bit of time to spot ya, plus as a safety factor in case you decide to abort and land beside the road at the last minute.

Of course this is all rather inexperienced speculation from a newbie NVFR, and I understand that ground logic and cockpit reality don't always equate. Never really thought that much about it before this. Always assumed it would be a no-hoper situation, and a risk you'd just have to take as part of flying. Ignorance is bliss :-)