PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - VFR Flight Plans: Are they worth filing ?
Old 17th Aug 2012, 16:24
Flylogical

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR Flight Plans: Are they worth filing ?

Based on the IOM (EGNS), I got in to the habit of filing a VFR flight plan every time I flew to the mainland, due to (approx) 50 nm Irish Sea crossing, under the assumption that "the helicopter will find me faster if I've filed a flight plan".

However, on a recent flight with an experienced ATC/Instructor as passenger, he told me "frankly, VFR flight plans aren't really worth filing. They basically get ignored by the system". As such, I must admit I've got out of the habit of filing them.

So, my question is as follows: are VFR flight plans worth filing in the UK (or anywhere else for that matter) in terms of expediting emergency response ? or are they so far down the pecking-order (compared with IFR flight plans) that they are essentially a waste of time (mine and the "system's") and it is safer to simply to remain alert and be ready to report location as accurately as possible if ever there is an in-flight emergency.

I'd appreciate an honest/frank answer, though I realise that any ATC professionals may not be willing to give such unless it is, in fact, true that VFR flight plans are (significantly) better than not -- in which case, I'll start filing them again (!)