PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - UAE Aerobatic Club
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 15:47
a747jb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Guys,

Having looked quite extensively into bringing over an S2C, and being a member of Al J up in RAK, I can tell you the prospect is unfortunately not that good. For starters, the GCAA, for the most part, want absolutely nothing to do with dealing with aerobatic flying, or that was the impression I got. Secondly, again with a few exceptions, there is very little flying above 1500 agl in the UAE for light aircraft. Pretty much everything is considered military airspace, or at least highly controlled. Third, there is pretty much only 1 place to get any sort of work done on recip engines in the UAE and that is in Abu Dhabi. They know they are the only game in town too, so expect a hefty bill for mx. Finally, general aviation seems to be considered a bit of a security threat throughout the middle east.

The good news is is that Al J has some really really good things going, and the GCAA are opening up a bit it seems. I highly recommend going up there if for no other reason that to hang out with a pretty enthusiastic group of pilots. If you desire, you can fly everything from small aeroprat micro-lights to powered parachutes, to gyro copters. Its as good as it gets in these parts.

I hope that things will eventually change, but the process is very slow. Until then we can maybe create a group that could occasionally take trips to various places to fly aero there. I know I miss being upside down horribly!!!!

Sorry if I disappoint, and please, if any body knows of more correct information, share it. What I have written above is to the best of my knowledge accurate, but things may have changed and I just don't know about it. Happy flying to all