PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any Borneo Whirlwind veterans here?
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 11:31
Old-Duffer

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts
XR453 was one of the last batch of sixteen Mk 10s for the RAF and although XS412 has a later serial, it was delivered as a replacement for XP392 in October 1962 and hence predates the delivery of 453 to 485.

The two Mk 12s : XR486 and 487 came later.

453 served with CFS, 1563 Flt, 230 Sqn and back to CFS before being transferred to MOD(PE) and then on to Odiham.

I would have thought that sorting out 453 would have been a nice little project for a group of Westland apprentices.

I saw the aircraft when she was lined up with other helicopters for the dedication of the SH Memorial and then later when it was parked adjacent to the old SHQ building (now Regt Training Flt) and close to the memorial. It would be a pity if it were let go, as there are few early rotary wing examples left intact.

Incidentally, one of the leading lights in the 'one gate guardian movement' was a contemporary of mine and somebody I found remarkably unpleasant. After he left HM's employ he got a rather nice little earner but subsequently his - how can I put this delicately - flaws of character were exposed. Think he emigrated later!

Old Duffer