PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airsick students
View Single Post
Old 17th Aug 2012, 10:20
Guru8904

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had a number of students who used to through up but I made sure that they stayed motivated enough to continue flying just by telling them that it would go away with time and sure enough, away it went. One technique I particularly used was to note the exercise/stage/manoeuvre that caused the nausea/vomiting and repeat the same thing as close as possible to the previous flight parameters in the next and the next and the next flight till, finally, them all got used to it and stopping feeling sick.
I know it sounds like a punishment but it worked well and them all recovered from the problem and continued flying.
I remember an airsick student who was good in flying but I found him unable to focus/concentrate on the lesson right after take off as he seemed preoccupied with the impending vomiting and the subsequent distaste/discomfort caused by a lost/wasted lesson. He had to be told, look, your problem is to concentrate on flying and not on avoiding the vomiting; luckily, he understood and in time, overcame the sickness.

Last edited by Guru8904; 17th Aug 2012 at 10:30.