PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ways to get there...
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 22:36
rikesh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here I am again with an update, regular as ever!

Perhaps you could try the cadetship with Cathay Pacific
I applied for this in 2011 and have heard nothing back!

Meanwhile, I went for the BA FPP but was eliminated at the assessment centre stage. Didn't realise there would be a Physics test! Passed everything else and met some great candidates. In hindsight, with all those who've been placed in a hold pool, I'm not sure failing at this stage (only £200 down) was such a bad thing.

A decade ago, this would still have been an excellent career choice for you, but I suspect the tide may have turned too much for you. If you're doing a maths degree, you're probably bordering on being a straight A student and I really question whether you will go down this career once you get sucked into a proper graduate role after your degree. It is not a question to answer now, as you will no doubt strongly object but let us know in another 2.5 years!
This hits the nail on the head. I will be starting a graduate job soon and many doubts are swirling through my mind. Do I spend the next few years saving and then spend £50k on modular ATPL training? Only to find myself in what has clearly become an employer's market.

I haven't been on these forums for a while, but a glance through the Interviews, jobs & sponsorship section tells me this:
  • There are many qualified, experienced pilots who cannot find work with airlines.
  • Those who have jobs are rewarded with low salary and increasingly unfair working conditions.
  • There is a growing culture of buying type ratings. Those with money can 'buy' their way into a job.

Alternatively, do I work in the graduate role, progress up the ladder etc and keep flying as a passion? Build up hours, get some ratings (Night, IMC) and enjoy it whilst earning far more than I would as an (unemployed) commercial pilot? The only issue with this being that I would be forever looking up at the sky, wishing I was there.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the working world is like. It is likely that my experiences in the next couple of years that will determine whether I go down the airline pilot route or not. But regardless, I will continue to fly and maintain my PPL.

As always, please post your thoughts. Regards.