PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 16th Aug 2012, 18:31
Michael Egerton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
greatbattle

Ask to speak to Eric or Rachel. I will try to find a specific email and phone number for you. My understanding is that actual ratings were not given until you had received the offer and were about to go on your adventure weekend before Adelaide. I thought that you just got an invitation for an eye test or the next stage if you scored above ICAO level 4.

In my view everyone who got an ICAO level 1,2,3,4,5 or 6 in the previous test should consider that rating as worthless and not an accurate representation of their actual proficiency. If you get a 4 or above in the new test I believe that (based on recent data and those now involved) it is accurate. If you are ICAO level 4 in the new test, that probably means your English still needs work - it's the bare legal minimum to fly.

The ICAO level 4 standard was only set because a lot of old ex-military pilots in russia, china and south america had very little chance of reaching level 5 so the research group that initially advised ICAO settled on 4 as a reasonably achievable global level. Most of those guys already knew how to fly, they just needed to learn how to do it in English. For a Cathay cadet pilot you have to be capable of learning how to fly in English, plus a whole lot of other stuff that isn't in the ICAO descriptors.

If there is a delay in getting feedback, it's probably because of the massive overhaul needed of the system. They also need to retest current FO/SOs which is probably a higher priority than cadet icao tests. In the interim you can always message me, set up a consultation and I'll tell you informally if you are way below 4, borderline 3/4 or approaching 5 based on global benchmarks and a few things that you can or can't do.

Another point mentioning is that if you are level 3 that doesn't mean that you can't do more practice and then retry in 3-6 months. If that is the case you have more chance of getting a level 5 (well, you would if you are an AEA student). There is no pressure to do anything with a specific provider and you can take your time, prepare more and enjoy improving your English.

AEA students that spend 2-6 months doing classes maybe two or three times a week tend to do very well, and absorb a lot of Cathay character from our teachers.

Last edited by Michael Egerton; 16th Aug 2012 at 18:42.